Paul Presented to a group of The Y CEOs on anticipation v flexibility in order to deal with change from outside
The key points were:
- All organisations are in a battle for attention and eyeballs with other events, streaming services, social media, the Sphere in Las Vegas (literally shown as a giant eyeball sometimes). Technology is part of the answer but the key thing for The Y is presenting “The Real” in a way that other technologically driven services cannot. Only use technology like Virtual Reality in ways that have a clear value proposition and are different from the increasingly rich consumer in home experiences that are being offered.
- The political framework may change where minority governments and the influence of independents mean that all organisations have to build a whole new set of political networks.
- Climate change will create risks. Primarily infrastructure risks and reputational risks if organisations do not do all they can to reduce their carbon footprint. This is a big risk to not for profit organisations and their fund raising.
- AI driven disinformation and misinformation is likely to flood the information space over the coming years. The Y has an opportunity to partner with other organisations to provide information that the general public can trust when they are exhausted in trying to sort out the truth from disinformation.
- The future of work is one where tasks are replaced, not jobs and the machines push humans into a smaller and smaller areas of work. Highly skilled cognitive tasks, and tasks that involve emotional intelligence will be the big winners.
- Demographic and social change may be advantaging community-based organisations as young people look for more purpose. It remains to be seen if this trend remains in the face of increased housing costs and cost of living pressures.
- All organisations need a balance between trying to anticipate the future and building a responsive and reactive (in the best sense of the word) organisation that can deal with the surprises that will emerge.
You can view the presentation at: Organisational Sustainability: Anticipation V Flexibility
As always, our presentations are designed to provide value to the attendee rather than be a collection of dot points of information. Contact us by clicking on the button below if you want to know how that works and talk to us about a presentation for your industry or organisation.